Highlights Include Hermosa, Manhattan & Redondo Beach Landmark, TV & Movie Locations And Lifestyle
In a true reflection of the Southern California lifestyle, a new company is providing guided tours along the Los Angeles coastline in true Southern California style: on bicycles.
Beach Cities Bike Tours provides the types of guided tours you get in Hollywood and other parts of Los Angeles, except along the beach on the bike path known as The Strand.
It is based in the Beach Cities and focuses on Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach, although the tours can also include Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey, Venice Beach and Santa Monica.
Led by Kevin Wilkerson, a 20-year resident of the Beach Cities, it points out movie and TV shoot locations (including what locals refer to as “the 90210 house” from the TV show, as well as locations for the movies “2012,” “Blow” and “Tequila Sunrise”), the birthplace of beach volleyball, one of the top surfing spots in Southern California and the colorful local culture.
Additionally, Wilkerson recommends his favorite restaurants and bars, the spot that makes the best burger in Los Angeles to the best Taco Tuesday location to a bar that’s like stepping into an old episode of “Magnum p.i.”
Wilkerson meets customers at their hotel or a bike shop in the South Bay, which means the tour can start from Hemosa, Manhattan or Redondo Beach.
The cost is $25/hour for up to four persons, plus the rental of the bikes (this the customers must do on their own; two bike rental places are Marina Bike Rentals in King Harbor and Hermosa Cyclery on the Hermosa Beach Pier).
So a two-hour tour will cost a family of four just $50, plus the bike rentals. Tips, of course, are gladly accepted.
BEACH CITIES BIKE TOURS INFORMATION
• Hours: 7 days a week, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Call, text or e-mail for appointments
• Cost: $25/hr. for up to 4 people. Bigger groups slightly more per hour charge
• Tour Highlights: TV & film locations; Hermosa Beach the “true Southern California lifestyle beach city; Manhattan Beach, the birthplace of beach volleyball and a big surfing community; Redondo Beach with its King Harbor Marina.
• Tour Details: Tours last 1-3 hours, depending on what areas customers want to see on it. Can include Playa del Rey, Venice Beach & Santa Monica (3 hours).
• Phone: (310) 990-4020
• E-mail: Kwilkerson@aol.com
• Twitter: CABikeTours